I was hesitant about Inside Out. It was billed by Disney and Pixar as made by the creative minds being Up! I want to be clear, I thought Up! was a disaster of a movie and wish to no end that I could get my minutes back. However, I was pleasantly surprised by the amazing voice cast and director Pete Docter.
Riley Anderson was born in Minnesota. Born with her were her emotions: Joy, Fear, Anger, Disgust, and of course, Sadness who all live in the mind’s Headquarters. Riley’s life is pretty good until she has to move to San Francisco, California. Joy is the leader of the emotions and she tries to keep Riley happy by making sure her core memories are full of joy. Joy always makes sure Sadness is no where near Headquarters control board.
After Sadness creates a core memory at Riley’s new school, Joy tries to remove it, but this leads Joy and Sadness to fall into Riley’s mind, leaving Anger, Disgust, and Fear in charge of Riley’s emotional stability. This causes Riley to breakdown as pieces of her personality fall apart without her core memories.
Joy and Sadness gather up Riley’s core memories and try to get back to Headquarters all the while meeting other parts of her mind.
As a kid’s film, it was good. It shows kids that is okay to be sad. On the other hand, it is more adult information as far as the psychology of the movie. That being said, I enjoyed every aspect of the film except for one glaring plot hole. I will let you spot it yourself. I want to praise the film’s cast. They were all amazing! The film is a great addition to Pixar’s film list and I cannot wait to see what else is coming from them.
FAVORITE QUOTE: You’ve ruined pizza!
PARENTAL CONCERNS: Mild thematic elements, adult situations
- Amy Poehler as Joy
- Phyllis Smith as Sadness
- Lewis Black as Anger
- Bill Hader as Fear
- Mindy Kaling as Disgust
- Kaitlyn Dias as Riley Andersen
- Richard Kind as Bing Bong
- Diane Lane as Jill O’Riley-Andersen, Riley’s Mother
- Kyle MacLachlan as Bill Andersen, Riley’s Father
- Paula Poundstone as Forgetter Paula
- Bobby Moynihan as Forgetter Bobby
- Paula Pell as Dream Director and Mother’s Anger
- Dave Goelz as Subconscious Guard Frank
- Frank Oz as Subconscious Guard Dave
- Josh Cooley as Jangles the Clown
- Flea as Mind Worker Cop Jake
- John Ratzenberger as Fritz
- Carlos Alazraqui as Father’s Fear and Brazilian Helicopter Pilot
- Lori Alan as Mother’s Sadness