I have met very few comic book nerds that don’t like at least one anime film. Those worlds often collide as they have similar themes and stunning characters, both heroes and villains. Sometimes, they do crossover. We have anime and manga creators do such films as Batman: Gotham Knight and even their own versions of Wolverine and Spider-Man.
Wouldn’t it be cool to see anime movie companies bring to life some of our favorite comic book stories and arcs? Here are ten comic books that need anime adaptations.
- Superman: Emperor Joker- The Joker tricks the annoying imp Mr. Mxyzptlk to give him his power. Superman’s will is able to overcome some of the changes, but can he stop the Clown Prince of Crime? This would be a story that anime filmmakers.
- Next Nexus- Horatio Hellpop briefly had the power of the alien Merks taken from him from three wizards who wanted to use the power for their will. This would be an amazing story brought to life by an anime. It would definitely pay homage to the creativity of Mike Baron and the artwork by Steve Rude.
- Black Panther: The Man Without Fear- While Matt Murdock is hiding from the Kingpin, Black Panther takes over protection of Hell’s Kitchen for a time. This story would make a great anime for its gritty setting and compelling plot.
- Wonder Woman: Blood and Guts- Diana discovers that she is Zeus’ love-child, as such, she must go on the run from Hera. She must also protect another woman who is impregnated by Zeus. The first two volumes of New 52 Wonder Woman would make a compelling anime, especially with their retellings of Western mythology.
- Badger: Shattered Mirror- The psycho superhero created by Mike Baron got an origin overhaul in this mini-series. Could you imagine an anime creator studio bringing to life the hero with multiple personalities? That would be a thrill ride.
- Hawkeye & Mockingbird: Ghosts- The superhero couple must battle their old enemies the Phantom Rider and his daughter. The pair meet struggles along the way and it ends with a twist. I could see this story lit up with an anime plot.
- Batgirl and Robin: Thrillkiller- Barbara Gordon becomes Batgirl during the 1960s after her father James Gordon is killed saving the Waynes from a hitman. This Elseworld comic book tells this story incredibly and would make an amazing anime film.
- TMNT Vol.3- Images Comics briefly took over the Ninja Turtles and made several changes to the story that the original creators did not like including making Raphael the new Shredder. It has just enough weirdness where it would make a compelling anime.
- The Immortal Iron Fist- Danny and his friends are captured and trapped in the Eighth city, a prison for supernatural beings. This would make an amazing anime adaption for its use as supernatural creatures in the plot.
- Batman VS. Grendel- The Dark Knight versus the master thief in an epic showdown in Gotham City. This would make an incredible anime retelling with the two iconic characters.
That is my list. What did you think? Any comic book story-arcs that would make good anime films? Let me know in the comment section below and don’t forget to check out my graphic novel review of Batman: Going Sane. Don’t forget to like, share, and subscribe for more posts like this one.
This article has been updated from a previous version.